22

History

itü-denizcilik-fakültesi

The history of our faculty dates back to the ‘Merchant Navy Boarding School’ (Leyli Tüccar Kaptan Mektebi), which was established in 5 December 1884 at Heybeliada-Istanbul as a part of the Ottoman-Turkish Naval Academy with the aim of strengthening civilian navigation/seamanship in the country. During the Republican era, it’s named as the ‘High Navigation School’ and continued its activities in the following decades. Finally, in 1992, it is re-established as a ‘Maritime Faculty’ and tied to the Istanbul Technical University. 


tarihce